I wasn’t able to write yesterday. Mostly, my day was filled with some routine legal procedures. This left me short on time for getting Ryan’s therapies in. I also had to jump in the shower an extra time (when I got home from being out) because a women I was around, seemingly oblivious (or not caring… which I suppose is little different) to the risk she might pose to my son if I brought something back with me, was hacking and coughing like I envision a pasty-faced Typhoid Mary. Oh… legal disclaimer here: I make no claim to her specific infection nor lack thereof, nor her relative pastiness, for that matter. I could practically see the germs crawling on her. Am I wrong to feel this way even though I recognize I’m über sensitive to such? Anyhow, the balance of the day was a whirlwind of catching up. In the end, I had to keep Ryan up for an extra hour-and-a-half to make it through.
I know everyone is excited to hear about our first family outing in the handicap van that was so kindly donated by Koons Automotive. As it turns out, we were not able to pull it off. For one, our attorney was late getting in town to meet with us in relation to the following day’s activities. Although the meeting was short — basically giving us directions then advising us to be open and honest— it was later than anticipated.
There were some other factors that made it unsafe and, quite frankly, nearly impossible. People who live in my area will tell you the rain was coming down in sheets that night. Don’t get me wrong, we gave it the old college try. We even had Ryan securely strapped in the van and the engine running. Even more, the hot chocolate was poured and the cookies in Kari’s lap in the back seat. We were that close!
In the end, it just didn’t feel like a wise decision. I had to play the part of the Christmas Grinch (I got your Noël right here!, I thought to myself, as I imagined myself and my dog, Tucker, standing in the town square stopping Christmas from coming), deciding to reschedule to Christmas week. It was weird, but I kept getting that feeling that something was telling me not to go. I trust my instincts so we covered Ryan and brought him back into the warmth of our home.
I was frustrating, for sure. But it was the right decision. I suppose many of the homes would not be lit up anyhow, given the drenching rain.