Ryan went off the IV antibiotic one week ago tonight. So, this afternoon we send out his urine for culture and hope the infection is gone. If not, things will get dicey really quickly. From my experience, we won’t know the results until early next week. There’s an outside chance of hearing something on Saturday, but that probably would indicate a problem.
Yesterday we signed an agreement to charge our credit card $12,000 to buy a ultrasound bladder scanner in the event insurance denies it. Brain injury is so flippin’ expensive! We couldn’t keep our heads
above at water level without all your help. This equipment is necessary so that we can watch, in real-time, the volume of urine in Ryan’s bladder. This way if Ryan is holding too much urine between flows and/or is retaining urine after a flow we will know. Knowing is the easy part, getting it out is not. We’ll need to place a catheter in his penis and thread it into the bladder to completely drain it, then remove it. This is commonly called” In/Out” or “Intermittent” Catheterization. Here’s the kicker… this type of catheterization significantly increases the risk of urinary tract infections. Hmm, another instance of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. The supplier provided us with a loaner until ours arrives and we began using it immediately.
Sue has the lead on scheduling Ryan at Johns Hopkins for further evaluation of the Celect IVC filter. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, please see last Tuesday’s post, Ultimate Paradox. Everything came to a screeching halt with the Memorial Day weekend. Did everyone in the United States take off last Friday?
Well, there you have it. Another fun-filled, action-packed week of keeping our son alive and healthy.