Lungs Sound Coarse
I do my best to avoid having to deep suction Ryan. He hates it. I do too. But, I fear it is unavoidable today. His oxygen saturation has been slowly declining over the past few days and he hasn’t produced a strong enough cough to clear it.
I increased the frequency of chest percussion therapy. He has been getting nebulizer treatments. I have used the “inhalator/exhalator” machine to see if I could break it up. This machine pushes 40 psi of air into the lungs and swiftly suction it back out at the same volume. Nothing has had long-lasting results.
If I do have to clear his lungs, I’ll be sure to record it. Be forewarned, it’s not for the faint of heart to view. During deep suctioning, Ryan will resist and cough violently. It’s common to see tears roll down his face. Sadly, this is a good thing.
So, here’s how it will go down:
- Nebulizer Treatment (20 minutes)
- Chest Percussion Therapy (30 minutes)
- Oral Care (3 minutes)
- Inhalate/exhalate (3 minutes)
- Squirt Saline down the nostrils
- Deep Suction through the nostrils and down trachea (5 minutes)
- Inhalate/Exhalate (3 minutes)
- Suction residual from mouth (1 minute)
I hope it can be avoided!