I wish I could say that money for Ryan’s care and treatment isn’t always in the forefront of my mind. Sadly, it is. Brain injury is expensive. Damned expensive. We are fortunate to have people, like you, who give. Without this generosity Ryan would not be in the best possible condition, given the severity of his injuries. Not even close. Let’s also not forget that the criminals and their henchmen haven’t offered a single penny, not even what was court-ordered. Losers!Keep that in mind as I tell you about a few upcoming fundraisers that are already in the works. Here is a quick list:
- Briar Woods LAX Opening Day. The Briar Woods Lacrosse parents are holding a fundraiser that coincides with the start of the high school season. The event will take place on the evening of March 21st (Wednesday). It will consist of bake sale tables at the entrance to the game before the concession stands, and a large donation bucket on the counter at the concession stand. For those who would like to donate but are not able to attend, I was told you can make a direct contribution to Ryan’s Special Needs Trust Fund. This can be accomplished by mailing a check or through Ryan’s PayPal. In either case, please write down “Briar Woods LAX” in the memo field.
- Greg Wells and RE/MAX Golf Tournament (2nd Annual). This will take place on May 11th (Friday). The event will take place at the 1757 Golf Club in Dulles, Virginia (next to Ashburn). More information is forthcoming, but based on the incredible success last year, you might want to get in touch with Greg Wells to secure a spot early.
- Newark, DE Fundraiser. This idea was pitched to me last year, but died on the vine. I want to see if I can bring it back to life and will handle this myself (unless someone steps-up to coordinate). As you are most aware, Newark, DE is the hometown to those thugs that harmed Ryan. You must also know that Newark has been shy about bringing this news to their hometown. So, why not help educate those who live there while raising funds for Ryan? I’m targeting sometime in late-May. I’m also considering an event at one of their favorite summer hangouts, Dewey Beach. This might be best held in July.
- De-clutter Event (2nd Annual). Okay, so no one has approached me to say this mega yard sale will happen again, but it must! The event not only brings an incredible amount of attention to Ryan, but raises a significant amount of money. A specific date has not been set, other than it will be on a Saturday in April.
- Ride for Ryan. My old undergraduate college roommate, John Maletta, doesn’t know this (until now), but he’s holding the 2nd Annual Ride for Ryan sometime around the first week of August. Actually, I know John well enough to know he probably already intended to do this.
Finally, Northern Virginia Magazine conducts an annual survey called Best of NoVA. This poll is a big deal in our area. If you could, would you please click over to it and create a login. From there, just go to the Loudoun County section and vote for all the wonderful companies that helped Ryan last year. In fact, please use the comments below this post to help us remember who they are (since I’m scared I might miss one). If you are the owner of one of these companies, please make sure to include it in the comments. It would mean a lot to the companies (and me) if you would do this.