I wish I could say that money for Ryan’s care and treatment isn’t always in the forefront of my mind. Sadly, it is. Brain injury is expensive. Damned expensive. We are fortunate to have people, like you, who give. Without this generosity Ryan would not be in the best possible condition, given the severity of his injuries. Not even close. Let’s also not forget that the criminals and their henchmen haven’t offered a single penny, not even what was court-ordered. Losers!Keep that in mind as I tell you about a few upcoming fundraisers that are already in the works. Here is a quick list:
- Briar Woods LAX Opening Day. The Briar Woods Lacrosse parents are holding a fundraiser that coincides with the start of the high school season. The event will take place on the evening of March 21st (Wednesday). It will consist of bake sale tables at the entrance to the game before the concession stands, and a large donation bucket on the counter at the concession stand. For those who would like to donate but are not able to attend, I was told you can make a direct contribution to Ryan’s Special Needs Trust Fund. This can be accomplished by mailing a check or through Ryan’s PayPal. In either case, please write down “Briar Woods LAX” in the memo field.
- Greg Wells and RE/MAX Golf Tournament (2nd Annual). This will take place on May 11th (Friday). The event will take place at the 1757 Golf Club in Dulles, Virginia (next to Ashburn). More information is forthcoming, but based on the incredible success last year, you might want to get in touch with Greg Wells to secure a spot early.
- Newark, DE Fundraiser. This idea was pitched to me last year, but died on the vine. I want to see if I can bring it back to life and will handle this myself (unless someone steps-up to coordinate). As you are most aware, Newark, DE is the hometown to those thugs that harmed Ryan. You must also know that Newark has been shy about bringing this news to their hometown. So, why not help educate those who live there while raising funds for Ryan? I’m targeting sometime in late-May. I’m also considering an event at one of their favorite summer hangouts, Dewey Beach. This might be best held in July.
- De-clutter Event (2nd Annual). Okay, so no one has approached me to say this mega yard sale will happen again, but it must! The event not only brings an incredible amount of attention to Ryan, but raises a significant amount of money. A specific date has not been set, other than it will be on a Saturday in April.
- Ride for Ryan. My old undergraduate college roommate, John Maletta, doesn’t know this (until now), but he’s holding the 2nd Annual Ride for Ryan sometime around the first week of August. Actually, I know John well enough to know he probably already intended to do this.
Finally, Northern Virginia Magazine conducts an annual survey called Best of NoVA. This poll is a big deal in our area. If you could, would you please click over to it and create a login. From there, just go to the Loudoun County section and vote for all the wonderful companies that helped Ryan last year. In fact, please use the comments below this post to help us remember who they are (since I’m scared I might miss one). If you are the owner of one of these companies, please make sure to include it in the comments. It would mean a lot to the companies (and me) if you would do this.
I love the idea of the mega yardsale. Will you have info in advance on when this will be? We would love to participate if we know when and where.
Gloria Gallagher says
The companies that made donations and/or sponsored the “Ryan Divinney Day” in the Broadlands: BoneFish, Curiousity Zone, SubWay, Safeway, Fins & Feathers, Blue Ridge Grill, Red, Hot and Blue. Unfortunately the “Best of Northern Virginia” does not accept national chains. So voting would be limited to Curiousity Zone, Fins & Feathers, Blue Ridge Grill and Red, Hot and Blue. I am sure that these stores would appreciate the votes. We hope to be able to do it again this year!
Christal from WV says
Maybe you should consider putting Ryan on a daily, prophylactic antibiotic (after this UTI is resolved) to work with the cranberry caps he is already taking. I had a few patients who kept a UTI, regardless of what we did to prevent them. They were placed on macrodantin once a day, in addition to the cranberry & it really did cut down on recurrences of UTI. Sometimes, despite all precautions, some people just continue to get these infections. I know that there is a concern about becoming resistant to antibiotics, but this may be worth a try. As you well know, UTIs are more serious than people think & can make you very sick. I wish both of you the best.
The prophylactic antibiotic is under serious consideration. What I’m trying to identify is if this is either a chronic UTI (that colonized) or recurring (even different strains). We are trying to get a urological consult, but doctors aren’t knocking down our door wanting to help a comatose person. It’s a challenge most prefer to avoid.
Ken, I am completely intrigued by the idea of holding a fundraiser in Newark! Perhaps there is some UDel campus awareness club that might be able to help? (I know a few UDel alumni who might be able to point out some good locations.) Unless you decide to hold it in Dewey Beach. Either way, might you consider Memorial Day weekend? I am more than happy to help brainstorm for this project!
I would actually recommend against having anything UD-related on Memorial Day Weekend. Memorial Day Weekend is typically Graduation Day Weekend(I know it was for mine), and 2012 is no exception. There’s going to be wayyyyy too much going on during Graduation Weekend, i.e. Memorial Day Weekend. Any kind of fundraiser would be completely overshadowed.
My thought is Dewey Beach would be in addition to the Newark, DE fundraiser.
Carla Liberty says
Ken, don’t forget about the fundraiser my nephew’s company is doing through “For the Burbs” (benefits local businesses and local fundraisers) – this is ongoing and gives people a chance to pick which charity they want to support based on the “deal” of the week. Ryan’s Rally will be on that drop-down list of charities to support. Here is a quick version of how it works:
Every time someone buys a spotlighted merchants offer, they select a charity to donate a portion of the purchase to. Ryan’s cause would be in that list.
Emails will go out when a new spotlight comes up. Then it is on all supporters to spread the word about the deal. Obviously, the more that the offer is seen/bought the better for Ryan!!!.
Some deals will be at Jimmys Old Town Tavern in Herndon, Glory Days, Vocelli Pizza, Lets Dish, various spas and salons, Mediterranean Breeze, Auto Detailing, etc., etc.
Hope Ryan ‘s antibiotic starts to do its job…did you ever revisit the reproductive organ theory again? I can’t remember what you called it but you mentioned it last week. Praying we isolate the cause!
Love/hugs/prayers, as always,
I can’t help to co-ordinate a Delaware fundraiser. I can suggest, however, that you guys try and do some kind of 5k. Maybe a 5k run against violence? I don’t know what it’s like in NoVa or WV, but in Delaware 5k run fundraisers are pretty popular. The running community is pretty strong there.
Gail Doyle says
Ken, Sounds like good Fund Raisers coming up..Sure hope the De-clutter for Ryan and Ride for Ryan become annual events ( even when Ryan is better) will still need things ,I’m sure. Golf outing from Greg Wells-Re-max sounds like fun, hope its as successful as last year. Any thing to help Ryan ,I’m in, whatever way I can help.Will definitely log in and vote for all the wonderful companies…….Hope Ryan is feeling better and find antibiotic that really works .Tell him hi from me
I just voted for the businesses that have helped Ryan. I’m delighted to see all the fundraisers on the horizon! I would love it if there was another Declutter for Divineys — I have some nice things to donate and I’m sure everyone in the community would love to get those fantastic bargains like last year!!
If the Cipro isn’t tackling the UTI, what will I wonder. Hoping to send you a name for a recommended urologist later today. Not sure what they could offer that you haven’t already researched and tried, but — it’s worth a shot
Praying for this UTI to *go away*!!!!
Sending love, and also prayers. Hoping that each of these fundraisers will come together so that we can keep Ryan on the road to recovery. Ryan is still working hard and we need to do the same. He deserves it, as does your beautiful family.
I wonder the same about what would knock-out the UTI. Maybe nothing, and the fight would be over.
Wonderful plans for future fundraising! How is Ryan doing – two posts ago, he was not comfortable or in a rough patch – is he doing better?
Yes… and no. He seems to be a bit more comfortable, but I fear the antibiotic might not be working. He continues to show leukocytes in his urine.
What is “Ride for Ryan?” Sounds fun!
Right from last year’s promo: RIDE FOR RYAN – Joe Maletta, Scot Reed, George Gardner, Doug Roberts and I are planning to use our 320-mile rail trail bike trip from Pittsburgh-to-Washington, DC in the first week of August as a fund raiser for Ryan Diviney. We are asking for you to consider donating money to our Ride For Ryan fundraiser. You can either pledge to donate a fixed amount (example: $20) or you may choose to donate per mile (example: 5 cents per mile x 320 miles = $16). No amount is too small. 100% of your donation will be given to Ryan’s family to assist with his medical bills.
Pittsburgh Here says
Pittsburgh?? Does this mean there’s a chance we could finally meet you??? That would be just too cool!!