Yesterday morning Ryan was taken to the hospital’s operating room for a scheduled procedure. It is the second, of three, that are necessary to put his kidney stones episode behind.
A few weeks ago, Ryan had a kidney stone that began blocking his urine stream. The stone became infected and this entered into his blood stream. Fortunately, we recognized that something was “off” and had him in the hospital before the stone actually moved out of his kidney and impeded his urine. It was just a matter of minutes from the time it did happen until he was getting a stent placed to temporarily remedy the blockage.Yesterday was the next step. He had the original stent removed. The kidney stones — all of them — were broken up, via pulsating laser, and will flush out with his urine over the next day or so. A second stent was placed because the surgery causes inflammation that can close the urinary tract. It will stay in place for a week to ten days.
Then it’s back to the operating room again to get it out. Whoopee.
As for yesterday, the surgeon wanted to admit Ryan to the ICU for twenty-four hours for observation. The main fear is that he could become septic. When he told me this I took a minute to consider it.
I refused (to the surgeons obvious shock). Still, he didn’t require me to sign acknowledgement that I was going against medical advice. He simply arranged the discharge.
So, I brought Ryan home. My reasoning was that I can observe him with the same level of skill (actually, more) and not expose him to all the infections that lurk in every nook of the hospital. Besides, if I did notice Ryan was becoming septic I would have him back at the hospital in less than ten minutes.
It’s always the same… weighing risks… competing objectives.
In this case, I’m happy (and relieved) to say, it was the correct decision. Ryan spent the night in his own bed, without all the disturbances that are unavoidable in an ICU setting. He was uncomfortable from the surgery, but nothing that a prescription strength ibuprofen couldn’t handle. I had Percocet on hand, but didn’t need it for him.
As for his day today, I’ll keep the therapy low-key… light stretching, passive cycling, vibration, HBOT, and a nice body massage.
Just one more operation to go! Well, for this anyhow.