I’ll have to hold off on putting out the post I referenced yesterday. We have potentially larger issues to deal with today.
The past couple of days Ryan’s heart rate is elevated. It’s running about 30 beats per minute higher all the time. He is clearly in some discomfort. Absent a fever, it is a concern but not urgent. That all changed last night.
Ryan began developing a fever around 4:00 AM. It steadily increased until around seven, peaking at 103.1. Equally concerning is his oxygen saturation is not in his normal upper-nineties. He is floating between 88% and 96%. He’s breathing is beginning to sound “wet”. I am confident he has respiratory issues. Whether this is full-blown pneumonia is yet to be determined.
Dr. Rodriguez’s office will be stopping over shortly to draw blood. It will be sent to the lab immediately. We are most interested in the white blood cell count. If it’s high, then we have a pressing issue and I will likely admit Ryan to the hospital.
Sensing something was wrong two days ago, I’ve been diligently performing a clinical examination from head to toe. We received a E.N.T. light kit from Ryan’s wish list (thank you!) and I used it extensively. It was just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. I also did a home urine test and he was fine (just showing trace protein). Also, I have him a tad over-hydrated.
Other than a nasty hemroid, he was in good shape. Clearly, a hemroid is annoying enough to cause his pulse to go up, but I wasn’t satisfied this was the cause. I’m happy I trusted my instincts.
So the next few hours will be of close monitoring. At some point I might have to pull the trigger and admit him.
Remember, I might need to temporarily abandon the blog and use FaceBook and Twitter if things get intense.